Councilwoman Prebble Ramswell
Prebble Ramswell lives in Indian Bayou with her husband Tony and daughter Briar, a student at Destin Elementary. An avid sports fan, Prebble was a Division I swimmer before following in her father's footsteps in the fields of journalism and sports media. Ultimately, her love of international relations and languages led to her acceptance of a position with the CIA. She enjoys games (particularly Scrabble, bridge and gin rummy) and spending lazy days at the beach with her family.
In 2014, Ramswell was appointed by Florida Senate President Don Gaetz to the Board of Directors of Florida is For Veterans, Inc., (dba Veterans Florida) as a voting representative.
Council Appointments to Local & Regional Committees
- BRAC Task Force Sub-Committee - Alternate Appointee
- Okaloosa County Economic Development Council Policy Board - Primary Appointee
- Okaloosa County League of Cities - Alternate Appointee
- Northwest Florida League of Cities - Primary Appointee
- Northwest Florida Military Sustainability Partnership - Alternate Appointee
- West Florida Regional Planning Council - Primary Appointee
- Economic Development, April 2015
- Living Leadership, Sept. 2014
- Taxes and Revenues for Municipal Governments, Oct. 2014
- Intergovernmental Relations in Florida, Oct. 2014
- Budgeting/Accounting for Florida’s Cities, Oct 2014
- Structure and Function of Cities in Florida, Oct. 2014
- Florida Ethics Law, Oct. 2014
- Florida’s Open Government Laws, Oct. 2014
- Successful Citizen Advisory Boards/Committees, Aug. 2014
- 2015-present: Adjunct Professor- Political Science; Columbia Southern University
- 2014-present: Substitute Teacher; Okaloosa County School District
- 2009-present: Instructor; Destin Junior Lifeguard Program
- 2009-present: Open-water rescuer; Destin Fire Control District, Beach Safety Division
- 2003-2009: Central Intelligence Agency
- Prior employment includes positions with USA Swimming, Rice University, Stanford University, the Houston Chronicle
- BA, Psychology and Sociology; University of Houston, Houston, TX; 1998
- BA, Political Science; University of Houston, Houston, TX; 2002
- MLA, Social Sciences/Psychology; Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, TX; 3.9 GPA; 2011
- PhD, Political Science/International Development; University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS; 2016
Multiple leadership positions including serving on the board of directors for organizations in Texas, Virginia and Florida, such as the Junior League of the Emerald Coast, Junior League of Northern Virginia, Montessori Learning Center in Fort Walton Beach, Gulf Swimming, and the Children's Museum of Northern Virginia.
Volunteer and/or fundraiser for groups including the Destin Fire Rescue Foundation, Coastal Clean-up, Senior Olympics, Special Olympics, St. Jude, the Children’s Miracle Network, the American Brain Tumor Association, Habitat for Humanity, Rotary Club of Destin and Destin's Adopt-A-Street.
Gamma Beta Phi Honor Society, Highest Academic Honors from the Chickasaw Nation, Outstanding New Member- Junior League of Northern Virginia, Rotary Club of Houston Academic Scholarship, and the Sewanee University Award for Excellence.