On October 31, 2016, FEMA awarded the City of Destin with a Community Rating System (CRS) Class 6 rating which means all City of Destin National Flood Insurance Program policyholders in the Special Flood Hazard Area (Zones A and V) will continue to receive a 20% premium discount.
FEMA further commended the city’s actions and determination to lead the community to be more disaster resistant. This commitment enhances public safety, protects property, preserves the natural functions of floodplains, and reduces flood insurance premiums.
“This voluntary incentive program encourages communities like Destin to exceed the minimum National Flood Insurance Program requirements, resulting in lower flood insurance premiums for many of our residents,” said Community Development Director and Floodplain Manager Karen Haynes. “Thanks to a commitment from the community, support from the city council through the adoption of the Local Mitigation Strategy, and the dedication and contributions from multiple city departments, we are able to continue to receive this much-needed premium discount.”
The CRS is a method for FEMA to assess and rate municipal efforts in flood prevention measures. The city was rated on the compliance of the following activities:
• Issuing and maintaining accurate elevation certificates for new and substantially improved buildings.
• Providing inquiries with flood zone information.
• Conducting outreach projects, including a community newsletter.
• Distributing and maintaining flood management information for the public, including materials at the Destin Library, City Hall, City Hall Annex and the city website.
• Technical advice and assistance to property owners.
• Open space preservation.
• Maintaining and using flood data, including digitized maps.
• Enforcing regulations for stormwater management, freeboard in non-SFHA zones, soil erosion control and water quality.
• Enacting floodplain management planning.
• Maintenance of the city drainage system.
• Maintaining a flood warning program.
For more information, visit the city’s website www.cityofdestin.com and look under the Community Development Department – Local Mitigation Strategy (LMS).